Kitt Shipe – Franchise Attorney in Atlanta, GA
Kitt Shipe concentrates her practice in franchising, licensing, and distribution, as well as general corporate transactions. She provides advice and counseling on the establishment, operation and expansion of franchise systems, domestic and international franchising, regulatory compliance, franchise relations, terminations, transfers and dispute resolution.
Kitt Shipe represents franchisors ranging in size from start-ups to industry leaders in connection with the development and maintenance of their franchise programs in a variety of industries. She has extensive experience preparing franchise disclosure documents (FDDs), franchise agreements, area development agreements and related documents. She regularly provides training for franchise executives on legal compliance. Kitt also regularly counsels her clients regarding all aspects of the franchise relationship, including encroachment, dispute resolution, mediations, and default and termination strategies.
She also represents her clients in a variety of corporate matters, including corporate formation and governance, purchase and sale transactions, real estate transactions, employment agreements, technology agreements, supply agreements and other commercial contracts.
Kitt Shipe began her career in corporate law at one of Atlanta’s most prestigious law firms, where she focused on securities, franchising and mergers and acquisitions. Her experience spans 20 years in private practice and as in-house franchise counsel for two prominent Atlanta-based franchisors. From this broad experience base, Ms. Shipe has developed a practical and results-oriented approach to the practice of law that emphasizes quality and efficiency. Through the use of plain English, user-friendly documents and real world advice, she helps her clients understand what is truly important and achieve the right balance between “getting it done” and mitigating legal risk.
- American Bar Association (Forum on Franchising).
- Georgia Bar Association (Franchise Law Section).
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with Honors, 1996
- University of North Carolina, B.A. East Asian Studies, Magna Cum Laude, 1991
- Franchise Times “Legal Eagle” 2017
- 1851 Franchise Magazine Legal Player Awards 2017
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- IFA – Franchisor and Independent Contractor Policies (January 2012, Southeastern Franchise Forum)
- Strategies for Managing Unauthorized Closures and Unauthorized Reflagging of Units (February 25, 2015, Georgia Bar Association, Basic Topics in Franchise Law Seminar)
- The Top 5 Things to Know About Item 19 (August 2017, 1851 Magazine)